Reports of Section Runs and Meetings for 2022

the photos use a slide show type of presentation, just click any photo to start there.

10th January
Section AGM. We had 18 members in attendance with all the usual suspects being returned to post, with Mike Eytner and Andy Whiteley joining the committee. Andy also volunteered to run the Vale of Glamorgan in September.

4th April
This club night was the quiz - with curry and chips. Only 12 turned up for a good fun evening with the questions being set by our Rob. The quiz was won with a miserable score of 23.5 out of 70 by myself.

11th April - Spring Run
Bob's Spring Run turned out to be a nice spin in the sun.  Bob, Bryn and Andy were on Triumphs with John on his newly acquired AJS. They left the Club at 10.30 for the Spring Run. Half an hour later they met with Rob on his Velo and Wayne on his KTM at Nantgarw. The weather was dry sunny and not too cold as everyone headed to Caerphilly, Machen and Bassaleg before a short run on the M4. Taking the A48 the group motored on to Chepstow.  The first stop for coffee was at The Old Railway Station at Tintern. After refreshments and a chat the group then headed along side the Wye to Monmouth and along the winding back road to Raglan. A quick squirt along the dual carriageway saw the arrival at Abergavenny Bus Station and partaking in bacon sandwiches and ogling a very rare Egli Vincent. It was then on to the A465 dual carriageway to Merthyr where everyone split up and headed for home.
Photos taken at The Old Station

18th April
The talk was to be on Charlie Sgonina, but as the main hall in the club had suffered water damage due to a serious roof leak, the talk was postponed, due to the screen that was needed for the slide show not being available.

2nd/3rd April - Cheddar weekend
Bruce and Di, Jean and myself, Rob Jones and John Fisher were all entered - however, Bruce and Di had gone down with covid, Jean was suffering some serious health problems and Rob's trailer wheel bearings had decided to fall apart, just as he was about to set off for Cheddar. So, our only section representative was John F.  The weather was cold but dry and sunny, which was a bonus.

22nd May - WSW section Black Mountain event
An event of about 65 miles that is run on the same lines as our Vale of Glam. The start was in Llandeilo and Rob J and myself were the only section members that had entered. I managed to persuade Jean to come out as the day promised good weather. The morning run ended with lunch in Llandovery after which Jean and I decided to leave for home. The afternoon part of the event was a lot shorter, with the finish back in Llandeilo. The following photos were all taken at the start.

27th-30th May - WSW section visit to Ireland
This event followed on very quickly with the weather looking very good for the whole of the weekend. Our section was represented by Rob J on one of his Hondas and Jean and myself with our Lomax. We were based at the Upton Court Hotel in Kilmuckridge - about 15 miles north of Wexford town. The Hotel had a number of holiday cottages with three bedrooms in each. We were all booked in for B&B, plus an event dinner on the Saturday evening.
Friday saw 4 lomaxes and some 10 motorcycles catch the Fishguard to Rosslare ferry at 1pm. On arrival in Rosslare we were met by members of the Leinster Classic Motorcycle club. We all then set off for Kilmore Quay for Fish & chips, before heading on to the hotel.

Saturday was the main run through the Wexford countryside, with a coffee stop at  the "Dying Cow". It was a small wayside bar with some very welcome refreshment, I must say. We used some lovely, uncluttered roads - and after the stop headed on towards the Lord Bagenal Hotel in Bagenalstown, about 8 miles south of Carlow.
The afternoon run back to the Upton Court Hotel skirted the Leinster Mountain and the Blackstairs Mountains on some lovely roads, before we stopped for refreshments. We were in Kiltealy at the J Bowe's pub, and I was fascinated by a stream that ran through the middle of the pub.
Back to base and it was a case of tidy up and get ready for the event dinner, which was very good.

Sunday morning was a run to the Hook lighthouse for lunch - seen at the start assembly:

We set off on some beautiful and quiet roads and it wasn't' long before we stopped to allow one of the Leinster club lads to take his bike home and exchange it for another, as his machine had developed an oil leak. Photos taken at the stop:

After we moved on we took a coast road towards St Kierans and the wreck of the Port Lairge ship:

We then headed on following the coast towards Hook Head and the Hook lighthouse for lunch.

The lighthouse is the second oldest working lighthouse in the world, having been built between 1210 and 1230. None of our party took the option of walking up the lighthouse before we headed on to New Ross and the N25 back to Wexford. At one point on the way we picked up another Lomax, which we followed to "Freddies" bar in the village of screen. The landlord of the bar was the owner of the Lomax and we were all invited to stop for some refreshment. The following photos were taken outside the bar:

Finally we had an easy run back to the hotel.

Monday saw everyone packing up - some went off to have another look at the Blackstairs mountains whilst the majority headed for the Irish Heritage Park just outside Wexford. We spent the rest of the day there before heading off for the 6pm ferry. Jean and I, along with Rob were booked into a B&B in Fishguard as the ferry didn't dock until 10pm. That gave us a nice easy ride home on Tuesday. A great weekend, for sure.

13th June - Bring a bike night
After sending out an email reminder for Bring a bike night we had a mere five bikes turn out on what was a lovely evening - weather wise. Remembering the days when we had 30 odd bikes in the car park, it was a bit disappointing. However, the vote went in the favour of Ken Baxter's 1925 round tank BSA.

18th/19th June - Banbury run
Rob Jones, along with Angelo Conti(West Wales) attended Banbury on the way home from Scarborough week, whilst I was busy in helping to decide the Concours awards. The weather was a bit overcast, but dry. I was surprised to come across Denis Prydie's IVY pulling a sidecar as it was a 350cc two-stroke. I spoke to the owner and he said that it went up most hills in top and would pull low down at slow revs, so was ideal as a sidecar tug. Nice to see the bike again and that it was being used. Chris Thomas took his 1904 Lagonda forecar, whilst son Morgan rode an 1898 Maron Gardon tricycle. Both broke down, so I heard.

13th/17th June - Scarborough week
The Scarborough Riding Week was officially on for 2022, so most of our group from last year made their way up. Riding this year was Rob Jones, Velo Mac, John Fisher, BSA 650, (our Section), Angelo Conti, AJS 350 Trials and Triumph 500, Norman Robinson Tiger Cub and Bonneville, (WSW Section) and Derek Manders, Velo Mac 1938 and Velo Mac 1955. (Lincoln Section.) Rob, Angelo, Norman and Derek arrived at Arosa Campsite, Seamer, on the Friday. John, who was travelling with Mary, was due to arrive on Saturday.
Day 2
We decided that the Saturday run would be a short one to the museum at Eden Camp near Malton. We used one of our old routes and with Derek leading, we headed southwards through the rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Wolds. The weather was dry and quite warm when we reached the camp. Eden Camp was constructed during the Second World War, originally to hold Italian prisoners of war but it later held many Germans. Today the huts are used to hold exhibitions telling the history of the War. Also, there are vehicles held in a large barn. We spent a few hours there but only skimmed the surface of what they had. After lunch we took the B roads to Thornton le Dale for a traditional ice cream before taking a detour via Troutbeck and arriving back at the campsite, where we found that John and Mary had arrived.

Day 3
Sunday’s ride was a short one of 50 miles going through the Dalby Forest. Rob led us there for lunch and we returned via the back roads to camp. We decided on a short one as we had booked the pub in the village for Sunday lunch at 6.30.
Day 4
Monday’s ride was a long one of over a hundred miles to Hemsley and Bransdale. Derek led us through the moors on a fifty mile ride to Hemsley. We all parked in the square and had to pay. Then popped into the local bakers for a sandwich and some pork and black pudding sausage rolls. We ate them around the old stone monument while lots of people came to see the bikes. After lunch we left the square heading for the higher moors. Sixteen and a half miles of moorland roads with long views before making the next turn. We stopped for photos and also popped in to visit an isolated and pretty church. Going through Hutton Le Hole we stopped at the pub for a quick half before heading back to camp.

Day 5
Tuesday’s ride was the Ultimate Hill Run. This was over the moors to Rosedale, before ascending the 1 in 3 hill known as "The Chimney" and on to Church Houses at the end of Farndale. The weather was dry and warm as Derek led us through Pickering. We stopped above Rosedale to point out The Chimney on the opposite side of the valley so that John could have a good view of the hairpin bends and the car park at the top. In Rosedale we stopped for a cuppa and then we were off up The Chimney. Continuing over the moors we arrived at the Feversham Arms at Church Houses for our lunch. We are always made welcome at the pub and the food is very good. After food we climbed the hill to Blakey Ridge before dropping down a narrow road towards Castleton. Here we found a road closed sign and Angelo went forward to investigate. Following on we lost sight of him as we turned to Westerdale. We did spot him coming in the opposite direction at Commondale and eventually we met him back at camp. Derek’s bike was playing up so we high tailed it back foregoing our usual ice cream stop. Anglo completed the route and managed to get some nice photos of his AJS. Back at camp we decided to merge two runs for the next day.

Day 6
Thursday’s run was to Flamborough Head Lighthouse with an afternoon visit to a museum. Derek riding his 1938 Mac led us southwards over the Yorkshire Wolds. We had some lovely riding over the rolling countryside and through some quaint villages. We passed Burton Agnes Hall, a magnificent Tudor building and also the name of a GWR locomotive. Our first stop was at the memorial for the RAF Bomber Crews of 158 Squadron near Lisset. Then we continued to Flamborough, for lunch, passing a Google street view car on the way. We decided to miss the afternoon route and head straight up the museum which was located between Filey and Scarborough. This was the Scarborough Fair and Vintage Transport Collection. It had appeared on tv a few months previously and we though that it would be worth a visit. And it was. The collection had various fairground rides all in working order, a collection of vintage motorcycles, cars, tractors and commercial vehicles, plus a few steam lorries. There was even a caravan suitable for Rob. We spent a good two hours looking around and when we had tea in the main hall we were entertained with various tunes played live on a large cinema organ while couples did old time dancing on the floor. From the museum it was a short hop back to Seamer for tea and a discussion about what we had seen.

Day 7
Friday was our last day of riding, and the run was again through the Wolds. This time we were staying inland with our lunchtime destination at Seaways Café, Fridaythorpe. Rob took the lead followed by John on his BSA, Norman on the Cub and Angelo on the Triumph 500. All bikes were running well and the weather was sunny and very warm. Heading through the Wolds towards Driffield Rob found himself all alone. Turning around he spotted the others parked up in a farm driveway examining Angleo’s Triumph. It had mysteriously come to a halt. Looking under the seat there seemed to be a loose wire. That was soon stripped and reconnected and the bike restarted. Which was more than could be said for Rob’s Mac. After a few unsuccessful kicks he declined the offer of a push start and changed the plug. Hey presto first kick and it started. Off to go again. But approaching North Dalton, Angelo stopped. In the shade of a house on the edge of the village, it was noticed that the tab on the regulator had snapped and the wire was making a very poor connection. This resulted in the battery running flat. Angelo decided to call for recovery and told us to carry on. We said farewell and headed the last 8 miles to the café and an all day breakfast. The afternoon route was about 45 miles through the rolling Wolds countryside. We motored through some lovely valleys and quaint villages. We managed to stop near Thixendale to take some action photos before reaching the camp for a final catch up. Just after our return Angelo appeared. He had been recovered back.
We settled down for a few beers and a chat by the motor homes. Everyone had enjoyed themselves. The weather had remained dry and warm. The routes had taken us through some excellent countryside covering some 600 miles.

22nd June - Mid week ride to the Dean Forest Steam Railway
Wednesday 22nd of June saw 11 club members meet at the Nantgarw Multiplex car park for a run. Bryn Tipples had arranged a trip to the Dean Forest Railway. So in glorious sunshine Bryn led a mixture of bikes along the motorway to Lydney and on to Norchard. On arrival we all had a look around the station and some of the railwayana near the signal box. After a quick cuppa and a cake, a few of us headed up to the platform to await the arrival of the train from Lydney. The train was pulled by Prairie Tank 5541 being driven by Charlie and fired by Mike. As it pulled in, who else should be on the footplate but Bryn with a big smile on his face. Bryn very graciously offered his place and Rob quickly accepted. It was an amazing experience heading up to Parkend and back. When Charlie and Mike finished their turn of duty they took us into the workshop to see Pannier Tank 9681 which has almost finished its complete restoration. It will be turned out in BR black as it was built in 1949. After leaving the workshop it was time to head home. Bryn and Doug took the quick route back via Chepstow and the M4 while Rob led a group back via Chepstow, Usk, Pontypool and Ystrad Mynach. A very good day out thanks to Bryn.

1st week in July - Reivers section week - our Rob was there
On the first weekend of July, Rob attended the Velocette Owners’ Club National Rally at Lichfield. The Saturday run was followed by an evening BBQ and Sunday was the rally at Lichfield RFC Ground. Sunday evening saw Rob heading north for an overnight stop before reaching Alnwick RFC Ground where the Northumberland Reivers’ Rally week was based.
It was great to catch up with old friends met over the years at various events like Scarborough, the Cotswolds, Cornwall and Scotland. On site from WSW was Les and Shirley in their Lomax, Dafydd Jones from Anglesey, Mervin from Worcester with his cousin Lindsey and his wife and Dave and Stella from Northumberland.
After unloading the Velo and setting up the motor home it was time for an early evening spin down to Amble for fish and chips by the harbour. The route was only 12 miles along the main road and then through the pretty village of Warkworth with its medieval bridge and castle alongside the estuary of the River Coquet. We had some delicious fish and chips from the local shop and ate them, in the sunshine, alongside the harbour. Dave and Stella led us back via B roads to the campsite.

Tuesday's run was 138 miles covering two counties. Les and Shirley in the Lomax and Rob on the Velo left at ten and headed westward towards the high moors. The route was on mostly B roads which were up and down dale and quite empty of traffic. We passed Craigside, the home of Lord Armstrong the Newcastle industrialist. The house was one of the first to use electric lighting powered from his own hydro plant. We continued through Rothbury, passing isolated farms and pretty villages, then alongside the River North Tyne before reaching Chollerford for a tea stop. Passing near Chesters Roman Fort on Hadrian’s Wall we head up Allendale and Allenheads where the road climbed higher and was edged with snow poles. We then dropped into County Durham and the valley here showed signs of lead and fellspar workings. Lunch was taken at Blanchard and we had a drink in the Lord Crewe Arms which seemed to have a crypt type bar. It was built in 1165 as a hostel for the nearby abbey.

Heading back we missed a junction and were now off route. Checking the map we made our way and eventually saw the breakdown van. We followed it to The Ox Inn in Middleton, where Rob was able to get topped up with fuel. Refreshed with a cuppa it was a quick 25 mile run back to camp. The weather was fine with some sun and the roads were good for motorcycling.

Wednesday morning dawned wet and grey. It had been raining since 3am and it looked like the day’s ride would be off. But by noon the rain had stopped and the skies were clearing so we set off. The run was called the Castle Run as we would be passing close to 10 castles in the region. Dave had decided to shorten the route by missing out the section to Scotland but Les, Shirley and Rob decided to complete it all. The first castle was Alnwick itself, then we headed off into the countryside. It was easy to spot most of the castles although some were only glimpsed behind high walls The route took us along the side of a wide river valley with views across to the hills in the distance. These we had ridden over the previous day. We had a break at the Lavender Tea Rooms at Etal before we crossed the Tweed into Scotland where we had lunch at Duns. This was the home of Jim Clark the famous British Grand Prix Champion. There is a museum here with his trophies and other memorabilia. Unfortunately we did not have time to stop. Crossing back over the Tweed we passed Norham Castle and headed to the coast. Here we spotted Lindisfarne Castle in the distance and Bamburgh Castle close up. After a tea stop in Bamburgh and fuel in Seahouses we took the back roads into Alnwick and fish and chips from Carlo’s in the town centre. Nice. We covered 120 miles and managed to spot 9 out of the 10 castles.

Thursday’s Run was over the moors to the Upper Coquet Valley and Kielder Forest. The weather was now much warmer and it was nice to sit in the shade at the tea stop in Harbottle. From here we were warned that the next 20 miles needed caution. The road was rather bumpy with some potholes and the usual grit in the centre, plus of course sheep. Other than this, it was a pleasant run with great views from the high ground. Crossing Chew Green Bridge on the Roman Road we passed the remains of the Roman Fort. This was the beginning of the Otterburn Army Ranges. The Ranges cover 93 square miles of the southern Cheviot Hills. We were able to travel through but were warned not to stray off the road. Turning right at Cottonshopeburnfoot we headed north to Scotland. We stopped on the border at Carter Bar with the Sottish borders stretching away before us.

We made a long loop to the left through the borders and headed back over the border and into Kielder Forest for lunch. Again the roads were quiet with few cars around. We made our way to Bellingham for a drinks stop and to pick up fuel before passing Kirkwhelpington and Rothbury on the return journey to camp a distance of 130 miles.
Friday’s Run was a late breakfast at Weldon Bridge before heading over the moors to Etal. There must have been over 20 of us sitting down at The Anglers Arms tucking in to a delicious full English and chatting. We had been warned that there was a road closure within the next mile but a few people know the way around the diversion. I though I heard a rider on a flat tanker say he knew the way so Les and I agreed to follow the bikes. Leaving breakfast I was separated from Les and Shirley by a chap on a flat tank Sunbeam. At the bridge near the diversion sign, the leading bikes and the Lomax turned left but the Sunbeam went right. I waved to Les and Shirley and followed the Sunbeam. Boy was he motoring. We were followed by another solo and, unknown to me, by the Lomax. We soon came to a T junction which the route showed as a left to Rothbury, but the Sunbeam turned right. He must know the way, I thought, so I followed. Passing the long wall surrounding Cragside there were delightful notes from exhausts of the Sunbeam and Velo. We stayed together all along the road towards Alnwick. By now there were signs of doubt creeping into my mind. Surely this can’t be the diversion? At the junction on the A697 the Sunbeam paused and I came along side. Looking at his handlebars I could see an empty roller route.
“Are we still on the route?” I asked.
“No mate.” came the reply, “I’m heading back to the campsite.”
“Oh *&@# !” That will teach me to ask in future before haring off.
Luckily I knew that Etal was north so looking at Google Maps on my phone I plotted a course straight up the main road until I could find a sign pointing to Etal. So off went the Velo at 50 to 60 mph straight up the A697. The correct route had taken everyone through lovely countryside to the west of the main road. Les and Shirley had followed me but had turned left at the Rothbury sign. Eventually they would have to cross the A697 as Etal was on the east and as I travelled north I spotted signs that were on my route sheet. Do I try and follow these in the hope of meeting the rest of the riders or soldier on like Billy No Mates? Billy won and I headed north eventually spotting the signpost and reaching Etal a good half hour early.

Later I got some stick when Les and Shirley arrived. The 30 mile return trip was led by the Lomax along some to the roads we had used earlier in the week. The route should have been 100 miles but my journey was about 20 miles shorter. That evening, in camp, the owner of the Sunbeam asked how I had got on. We chatted about his 500cc side valve Sunbeam and how well it went. Friday night we all went into town being given a lift from Howard the organiser. A delicious meal had been ordered at the Market Tavern which was a lovely way to finish off the evening.
Saturday’s run was to Heatherslaw Corn Mill just below Etal. Dave and Stella led us. We travelled northwards on quiet B and back roads to Kirk Yetholm where we were a little way back from the group. Rob saw some motorcyclists in the village and headed up to them. Although they were from the campsite, unfortunately they were not our group. This caused Les to miss the direction our group had taken. We decided on a road which headed in roughly the right direction and eventualy reached the tea stop at Cornhill Village Shop. Within five minutes the rest joined us in the sunshine.

Suitably refreshed and following Dave and Stella we headed past Branxton and Flodden Field. This was the site of a battle between the Scots and the English in November 1513. From here we went on to Heatherslaw Mill on the banks of the River Till. There has been a corn mill here since the 13th century. Also across the river is the Heatherslaw Light Railway, a 15 inch narrow gauge begun in the 1980s and running for about 2 miles to Etal Castle.

After lunch Dave and Stella led us along some of the pretty roads we had used during the week then along the back roads to Bamburgh and on to The Rocking Horse Cafe where the owner has an interest in old vehicles. It was a short hop back to Alnwick to finish off a hundred mile trip.
There was another day’s riding on Sunday but Rob had made plans to head south. Sunday morning was spent loading up, taking a few photos of the bikes and saying goodbye.

Northumberland is the second largest county in England and the least populated. The roads are long and winding and we found them relatively traffic free. The views are high, wide and spectacular. The villages quaint and castles plentiful. The company and welcome was warm and worth coming back for.

24th July - follow the Velo Run
The weather on Sunday morning was wet. It was pouring as I made my way to the start of The Follow The velo Run at The Mountain Café, Caerphilly. I had intended to use last year’s route but due to the mountain road between Maerdy and Aberdare being closed that was not possible. So due to this, plus the weather conditions, I planned a Follow the Velo without a route card.

Waiting at the café, as I pulled in, was Paul D on his Kawasaki 800 and we were soon joined by Andy W on his Honda four. A little while late Bob J and John H rode in, both on AJSs. I explained the general plan and as we started the bikes Bob arrived on his Triumph Trophy. So now, we had six setting off in rather damp conditions.
The route took us along the A470 to Pontypridd where we branched off on the road to Ynysybwl. Riding through the village we were soon on an open country road heading for Perthcelyn and negotiating some twisty bends. Next, we headed south to Abercynon before crossing the valley and heading for Fidlers’ Elbow. It had been my intention to take the old road to Merthyr but I changed my mind and headed for Nelson. By now the rain had stopped so I though a ride over Gelligaer Common would be good. The road was quite busy as there was a horse show going on in one of the fields. The cloud had lifted a little so we did have some decent views on both sides. Looking north, we could see the Beacons covered in low cloud. We also passed two ambulances on the ridgeway plus, in a little while, a police van with its blue lights on. At the next junction, the road to Fochriw had been closed with police tape. Luckily, we were heading left along the mountain road to Dowlais Top. Here we joined the A465, and its road works, before turning off to Aberdare for a carvery in a local pub. Some 55 miles covered in mostly dry weather.

8th August - Fish and Chips run
Those riding assembled at Cowbridge Common and were all lead away by Andy for the run. Back at the Llanharry club everyone assembled and some 16 sat down to a feed of fish and chips. All in all a good evening.

14th August - Chairman's run - notes, thanks to Rob J
Ten members turned up at The Club for the Chairman's Run. Bob had worked out a route of some 80 miles taking in the scenery on some of the mountain roads of Glamorgan. In order that we did not get lost Bob explained the route. It was out to Llanharan, then Pencoed and along the A48 before joining the M4 at Pyle, Then off at Port Talbot and up the Gwynfi Valley to the Bwlch. From here it was into Treorchy, over the Rhigos Mountain and down the Cynon Valley. 

Then we were off. Everything was going well, the weather was fine and sunny and the bikes sounded good. As we pulled out at Llanharan Bob, Bryn and Bob2 were separated from the rest of us by a car. The car drove slowly and we soon lost sight of the first three. Approaching the Brynnau roundabout I spotted a motorcycle taking the Heol y Cyw road. I followed it, taking the rest of the group with me. At the Common I could see that it wasn't Bob, Bryn or Bob. There was no option but to continue. So we headed for Sarn and the M4. We continued along to Port Talbot and then took the road to Cymer and the Bwlch. The roads were quiet and the views were good. We arrived at the Bwlch and had an Ice cream while we waited for Bob. When they arrived Bob said that he saw we were missing and they had waited at Pyle.
Suitably refreshed we went down the mountain into Treorchy and turned up the Rhondda Fawr to the Rhigos mountain. The mountain road has now had its speed limit dropped to 40 MPH. At the Rhigos we stopped and watched some people go down the Zip Wire from the top of the mountain to the old Tower Colliery. Our last leg was down through the lanes at Llwydcoed as the main road to Aberdare was closed. We finished off at a pub for a carvery before heading home.

11th September - Vale of Glamorgan run - thanks to Angel Conti for some of the pictures
We had some 18 entries, only 6 from our section, 2 from Oxford and Colin Durnall who rode his 1937 P&M all the way from Wolverhampton. The largest contingent came from West Wales and Swansea. The day dawned well, it was dry and there was a hint of sunshine as we assembled at the Llanharry club.
Seen at the start:

We were soon out into the Vale and heading for Craig Penllyne, Llysworney and on to Corntown. Then it was through Ogmore and Southerndown before the lunch stop at the Horseshoe Inn at Marcross.
Seen at the Horseshoe Inn:

This year the afternoon run of some 38 miles went through the water-splash at Llancarfan

A few managed to get lost, but did eventually find their way back to the finish ok. All after a good day out running around the Vale.

16th-18th September - Saundersfoot Run
Once again Jean and I attended the Saundersfoot weekend, along with Rob J and his 1959 MAC. Things started by travelling to Saundersfoot on the Thursday, with our usual visit to the Dragon Palace Chinese restaurant in Pentlepoir - the food is really good there. Friday dawned nice and dry as we all met up in the Merlewood Hotel car park for the days social run. Seen at the start:

We all set off heading towards Pembroke town, taking a long loop, before stopping at the Bubbleton Farm cafe after having covered just over 20 miles. The food was good and the stop interesting. Some photos from the lunch stop:

From the farm it was a drive back to base, whilst Rob and Les headed for Tenby for an Ice Cream. Saturday dawned and the weather was still looking good as we all assembled in the Coppit Hall car park.

We were set off two at a time, starting from 10am, and were soon out into the lanes for the 65 mile event. Lunch was at Milford Haven Marina, where Jean and I found a super little cafe, hidden away at the end of the front. The afternoon run was an uneventful ride back to Coppit Hall and the finish. Food for the evening was arranged with the Merlewood Hotel and most entrants met there. Sunday Morning, and everyone assembled in the sunshine for the Concours trophies presentation. Rob had best in class and our 3-wheeler also won it's class. When the results were finalised, Rob even won his class in the road run as well. All in all, a good weekend.

23rd-25th September - Isle of Wight Scurry(thanks to Rob for the photos)
The weekend following Saundersfoot was the Scurry event on the Isle of Wight. I was to ride my 1952 Peugeot and Howard was to ride my 1961Tiger Cub, with Rob on his 1959 Velo, of course. It was planned that the girls could then follow around in the car. Thursday saw Howard and Carol, Jean and I head for a Premier Inn in Christchurch, as we had the great plan of visiting the Sammy Miller museum on Friday, before catching the 4pm ferry from Lymington. Rob was booked on the 2pm boat, which had been cancelled, with him being transferred on to the 6pm boat. However, he turned up early and managed to get squeezed on the 4pm ferry. We were soon at the campsite, where Rob set up his camper, whilst the rest of us took charge of our rented caravan. We then set off for the arranged evening meal at the Horse & Groom pub, where we met the remainder of the bikes after their social run. After being well fed we all retired for the night.
Saturday morning and Howard and I unpacked the Peugeot and Triumph from my van and headed for the assembly point:

We were soon off for the 7 mile ride into the centre of Newport. There were well over 50 odd bikes all lined up for the public to see and - wonder of wonders - my little Peugeot was awarded the County Press Trophy. I'm not sure what for, something like - Concours, bike I'd like to take home, most interesting, etc. Back in 2018 it was won by my Nimbus, and that's not exactly concours. Anyway, here are some of the bikes on display:

Back at the camp we all settled down and decided to patronise the on-site take away for some sustenance - which was fine.
Sunday morning and the weather was still looking good as we all assembled for the start of the Scurry. I set off with Howard and Rob following as I had a roller route. It wasn't long before we had collected quite a few followers, as we headed towards Newport and turned towards Carrisbrooke. From there we skirted Newport and by lunchtime had reached the Hare & Hounds at Downend.

The girls meanwhile had been on a visit to the craft village at Arreton Barns. Anyway, we all sat down to a good Sunday lunch and after the refill set off on the afternoon ride. We ended up joining the coastal Military Road at Niton, before taking a few detours off and then back on again. After some 65 odd miles we were back at the camp and getting ready for the end of event buffet in the nearby Sun Inn public house. There was a motorcycle quiz, that we failed miserably on, by only getting 12 of the 50 questions right - but it was a good evening, as everyone said goodbye.

Our contingent retired back to camp, as we had arranged to stay on the Island until the following Friday. We ate in various places, visited Osborne House, Havenstreet steam railway, Godsill, Carrisbrooke Castle and also drove the length of the Military road. Tuesday evening saw us join the IOW section for their meeting and a talk by Gerald, who during his life had run the Honda racing team - it was an interesting evening, for sure.
In no time at all it was Friday and we headed home, whilst Rob set off for Weymouth to ride the Bob Foster weekend. I suppose that we were really lucky as we had no rain for the week - at least not until crossing the Severn Bridge back into Wales, where it emptied down and caused all sorts of problems, including the usual bottle neck at Newport. We certainly do need the Newport by-pass.