The Isle of Wight Scurry - 21st to 26th September 2018
(Click the photo to see a larger picture in a slide show.)

Photos provided by various people
The South Wales Team:
Rob and Bethan Jones - 1959 Velocette MAC
Bruce and Di Grant - 1943 Triumph 3HW
Stuart and Lesley Robson - 1956 Norton 99
Bill and Jean Phelps - 1925 Indian Scout

Friday 21st September
We set off for Lymington and the ferry, on Friday the 21st. On the way we collected Ian Young from his home in Berkeley as I'd promised to give him a lift to the event. We had a nice easy drive to Lymington and made the 4pm ferry and were at the Orchards holiday centre by 5.30pm. Bruce and Di were already there, having used the Red Funnel route from Southampton. Rob J also caught the same ferry as us and brought his daughter Bethan as the pillion passenger. Stuart and Lesley were on site before us with their motor home, so we had a good representation from our section. Both Rob and ourselves had hired a static caravan each from the site. The Brighstone Holiday centre base that had been used for the past few years had been sold and was not available to us for this year, so the Orchards was all new. Well not quite, as Jean and I had stayed there before in 1979 with our caravan and family. Anyhow, the weather was a bit overcast, but not raining as we booked in.
The evening consisted of a get together during an excellent Fish and Chip meal put on by the take away caterers at the holiday centre.

Saturday 22nd September
For the first time in ten years of riding the Scurry, Saturday dawned all grey and overcast. Jean opted not to go out, so I was riding solo - isn't it amazing how well a bike runs when there is no one on the back telling you to slow down. The others followed me, as we headed into Newport to stage a public display for the bikes in St Thomas' Square. We were due there by 10.30am and were to stay for a few hours. During the time in the square the bikes were judged and the County Press cup was presented to one of the two Douglases - not sure which one - both were 1950 plus 90s. Whilst waiting we headed into the church and their coffee shop, where we spent some time just chatting. On leaving the church we found that it had started to rain, so we decided that the afternoon run to the Arreton Craft village was a non-starter. I must say that I have great respect for wet roads when riding on skinny beaded edge tyres that are pumped up quite hard. Consequently, the ride back to base was not very enjoyable - however the rain had eased off by the time we reached the Orchards site.

The evening was ours to do what we wished, so Jean and I, along with Rob and Bethan headed for Freshwater and the Hong Kong express Chinese restaurant. Most years Jean and I have eaten there and good it was, as expected.

Sunday 23rd September
The day of the Scurry and the weather still didn't look very good, so Jean and myself, along with Bruce and Di opted to go straight to Niton and the Pub for the Sunday lunch in our van. Rob took Stuart and Lesley in his car. For sure the lunch was very good, of course. Quite a few hardy souls had ridden their bikes and there were a number in the car park by the time we got there. After lunch the weather brightened so we headed to Godshill and then on to the Arreton Craft Village that we had missed the previous day. All new to Bruce and Di, as they had walked the complete coastal path in the past, but had never ventured into the interior of the island. Rob opted to head to Shanklin and Sandown where he took the following photo. what a difference from the morning.

The evening get together was in the meeting room above the take-away, where we were provided with a light buffet that went down very well.

Monday 24th September
The mornings ride was out through Yarmouth to Fort Victoria which is situated on the North of the Island at Sconce point between Yarmouth and the Needles. For once the sun was out as we all assembled outside the site reception office and Ron gave us a riders briefing before we all set off on our bikes.

A nice easy run to Yarmouth and then on to the turning to Fort Victoria.

After we had all assembled we went up onto the top of the fortifications and Geoff Dean gave us an interesting talk on the history of the fort. It wasn't long before we back-tracked down the road to the Boathouse for a buffet lunch - which was the same as last year, superb in every way. From the Boathouse we headed to Kings Manor farm to view the private Harry Ferguson Museum and collection. After that interesting visit we had a leisurely ride back to camp with the evening being ours to do what we wished.

Tuesday 25th September
Today we assembled in the waiting area outside reception for our visit to the Tank Museum on the Newport to Cowes road. On the way, Brian Thomas managed to stall his pretty little R25 BMW and in kick starting the bike, didn't notice that it was still in gear. Brian experienced a rather exciting moment, as heaving the bike off the centre stand it tried to make a get away - he won the 'hard luck' award for that.

We had visited the museum during the 2010 Scurry(seems like only yesterday - doesn't time fly). Since then the museum had closed, lain dormant for two years, and started up again. There were not so many tanks etc on display this time but there was a very good diorama of a war-time street  with lots of shop windows etc to look in. All designed to jog the memory into remembering and thinking - 'I had one of those'. During our visit to the Harry Ferguson collection, the day before, a raffle was held and won by Jon Anstiss - his prize - a ride in a tank, see the following photos.

In the car park after our visit, there was the first breakdown of the whole weekend - a Velo, of course, it just wouldn't start and even our very own Velo guru couldn't coax it into life. No doubt something simple, I expect. Back at camp and the evening consisted of a pretty super buffet, followed by one of Ian Young's quizzes. Bruce and I formed a team and, blow me down we won, with a score of 43 out of 50. It was down to me to collect the trophy as Bruce was pretending to be the shy retiring type. There were a couple of awards to be made and one was for "the bike I'd like to take home". Another surprise, as the Indian won with 8 votes - I was a bit slow as I should have said to come and see me, as it was for sale.

Wednesday 26th September
The following day, and it was a case of catching the 10am ferry and taking Ian home to Berkeley, before crossing the bridge and getting home ourselves. I feel that the Isle of Wight section have the event about right, no pressure at all, and an enjoyable four days in good company, which was a nice way to round off the riding season - if you've never been to the Isle of Wight, come along to the Scurry next year.