The Isle of Wight Scurry 2010
(Click any photo to see a larger picture - then just follow the slide show.)

The weather looked promising for this event as Jean and I set off with the Indian in tow on Saturday morning, 18th September. I reckoned that it would take around three hours to get to Lymington for the ferry to Yarmouth, however, I'd forgotten about the bottlenecks of getting through Bath, Salisbury and Lyndhurst. You can never tell about traffic so I decided to by-pass Bath and take the Bradford-on-Avon road. That was the first problem out of the way. Next was Salisbury where traffic is permanently queued around the ring road waiting to get onto the A36 to Southampton - that cost us three quarters of an hour last year. So, not wanting a similar holdup this year I decided to take the road south from Wilton and come into the roundabout for the A36 from the other direction. The signage was none too good and I found myself running along on the nearside lane, with a long queue in the outside lane and I needed to turn right. That was fun as I sailed into the roundabout, signalled right and pulled across and onto the Southampton road. I felt my ears burning, for sure. The final bottleneck was Lyndhurst and I'd learnt never to approach it from the north as there's always a five mile queue to get into the town. So, I headed on towards Totton and turned right for Lyndhurst, turning left for Lymington, just as I met the outskirts. We made the ferry on time. Terry and Dilys were also entered in the event and were nowhere to be seen, then, as we were boarding, they arrived, but had to wait for the next boat. The Solent was calm as a millpond and we were soon in Yarmouth and heading for the other end of the Island.

On reaching the Whitecliff Bay holiday camp where the event was to be based we were given the key to our chalet and were soon settled in with the Indian unloaded. We wandered off to the other side of the site to find Terry and Dilys and make arrangements to meet for the evenings get together in the function room. A buffet had been organised and I must say that it was 100% better than 2009 - amazing what new owners can do. The evening raffle turned out to be a real benefit for our table - we won 11 prizes between the ten of us on the table, with Fran Wiles going for the star prize of a ride in a tank during our visit to the Tank museum on Monday.

Sunday morning, and after a super cooked breakfast we lined up with all the other bikes to set off on the Scurry. Something like 70 odd miles with a lunch at the Cowes community club. We set off towards Ryde and were soon passed by a very fast single speed 1913 Indian travelling as though we were standing still. At one mini roundabout on the approach to Bembridge I was about to take off, just as a local drove his car at speed from the left, and turned into our road, missing us by inches.
Some of the Islands side roads are certainly a bit bumpy but our Indian and Terry's Ariel managed them ok. We took a wrong turning on the outskirts of Cowes but knew where we were so just rode on until we found the lunchstop.

Seen at the Cowes lunchstop: -

From lunch we set off for a shorter run back to Whitecliff Bay with a stop on Brading Down for Ice Cream. It was blowing a bit cold by this time, but welshmen are tough, aren't they?
The evening was spent in the function room where a game of carpet golf was played for the prize money of 21 - won by Reg Glading.

Monday, and we were to display our bikes in the centre of Newport, the Islands county town. It was a bit of a nightmare getting into Newport with Steve Hart on the single speed 1913 Indian describing the traffic as 'Interesting'. And there was me with a foot clutch and left-hand throttle thinking that I had it hard.
A rather nice 1902 Clement Garrard turned up which was not on the event. I spoke to the owner who was not  very enamoured with the VMCC for some reason or other and declared his undying allegiance to the Sunbeam Club. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his bike was not a Garrard and somehow had the feeling that he wouldn't have believed me anyway.

From Newport town square we headed north out of town to the Tank Museum. They had quite a few interesting tanks and other military vehicles, including a couple of motorcycles. Fran Wiles took her raffle prize of a ride in a Russian T54 Tank, whilst Terry and I contemplated just how big a garage we would need if we had one to play with.

Back to Whitecliff Bay and we decided that we'd try the Propellor Inn, just outside the camp gates. It was an excellent choice for food and all four of us felt well satisfied when we left and went back for the customary evening get together. This time there was a quiz - we didn't do too bad but didn't win, of course. Who knows the name of the scooter made by Excelsior or where were ROC machines made?

Tuesday, and there was an option of riding your bike to Calbourne Mill and Carisbrooke castle or riding on a 'Vintage' bus. Terry and Dilys, along with Jean and I opted for the bus - a 1966 Bristol single decker, lovingly restored in the colours of 'Enterprise' buses, who were one of the Islands bus companies before being swallowed up by the Vectis bus concern.

First stop was Calbourne Mill - a real working mill that had history going back over the best part of 1000 years. There was a demonstration of milling at 12noon, especially for us to see, plus the starting of a large Gas engine. All very interesting indeed and lovely to see in such an idyllic setting.

From the Mill we were taken in the bus to Carisbrooke Castle.

I suppose that we were at the Castle for two hours or so and were able to watch a donkey inside a large treadmill that was used to haul water up from the deep well.

This was the last day of the event and the evening was spent in the function room tucking into an excellent buffet - followed by the awards ceremony. A super way to end the event.

Wednesday, and most people were booked on the ferry for the trip back home. No problems from our point of view - just a shame that it all had to end.