Scarborough week - 23rd June to 30th June 2018
(Click the photo to see a larger picture in a slide show.)

Thanks to Rob for the notes and photos.

 Saturday 23rd
Rob on the 53 Velo MAC, Terry on the Honda 200 and Bruce and Diane on the 400/4 and Brough Superior all went North to do the Scarborough Riding week. Also there were Willy and Mady from Belgium and our old friend Paddy who we have met before at here, Scotland and Weymouth. The Lighthouse Run was the first ride on Saturday and Rob, Terry and Paddy headed through the edge of the wolds. Bruce and Diane and Willy and Mady rode separately. On the way we stopped at the memorial for the WW2 RAF Bomber Command 158 Squadron at Lissett. Reaching Flamborough, we had lunch below the lighthouse before visiting Flamborough Head and turning inland. We made our way north with views of the coast before stopping on Filey seafront for ice cream. All the bikes soon attracted a crowd and favourable comments. Finishing our cornets we headed back to camp after completing 65 miles.

Sunday 24th
Today promised fine weather for the Wolds Run. Rob and Terry were joined by Gareth Thomas from Swansea riding a 500cc Matchless. The run went south from Seamer and into the rolling hills and quite empty lanes of the wolds. We passed some lovely villages on a route we had done before. Skerne was very attractive with its red brick cottages many of which had beautiful displays of flowers. The lunch stop was at Seaways cafe in Fimber, which always welcomes motorcyclists. We thought that since it was a Sunday and the weather was good it would be packed so we decided to look for somewhere else.  About 6 miles before lunch we came across a wolds pub and pulled in for a substantial Sunday lunch of roast lamb.
After lunch we continued on the route eventually riding along a ridgeway with lovely views of the Vale of York to our left. We reached the camp site in glorious sunny weather after completing 100 miles

Monday 25th
The morning was bright and sunny with a temperature forecast of 19 degrees. It looked like a good day for "The Ultimate Hill Run". The route was measured at 101 miles and would see us heading north west into the Yorkshire Moors and Dales. Rob, Terry and Gareth rode together again and took the main road from Seamer to Pickering before turning off onto some lovely country lanes. The high ground gave us some lovely views of the moors and the valley, as we dropped down into Rosedale Abbey. We decided to have a break here and a cuppa, as did a few other riders. From here we continued and turned right for a climb on to the 1 in 3 single track road known as The Chimney. Luckily there was no traffic to baulk us and the Velo, Honda and Matchless flew up. (First gear for the hairpin) Lunch was only a few miles further on at the Feversham Arms at Church Houses, a small hamlet at the top of a picturesque dale. It would probably be less picturesque in the winter though. After lunch Rob missed one sign but after a detour of about 6 miles we were back on route. We could have turned around to go back to the original junction but we had just negotiated 4 miles of newly stone-chipped road and didn't fancy that again. We completed a loop around Westerdale, Kildale and Comondale, with their pretty York stone cottages and farms, before pulling up for an ice cream at Lealholm. From here we headed eastward through Glaisdale and down the 1 in 3 potholed road to Littlebeck( which really tested the brakes) before gaining the high ground again. We were easily able to make out the harbour and Abbey at Whitby on our left and the North Yorkshire moors on our right. After completing another dale and newly stone-chipped road at Forge Valley we joined the main road to the camp site.
A long run but the sunny weather, wonderful scenery and good company made the discomfort of riding a rigid Velo worthwhile.

Tuesday 26th
Tuesday morning dawned grey and misty although sunny weather and 25 degrees was expected later. What wasn't expected was the strong smell of petrol that greeted Rob when he stepped out of his camper. It was traced to a split fuel tank on the MAC. After emptying the tank and taking it off it was decided that a quick repair was out of the question. Fortunately, Derek Mander, a friend from the Velo Club offered the loan of his spare MSS which put Rob back on the road to visit the motorcycles in the Ken Craven museum. As well as the usual three we were joined by Derek on his green MAC and Angelo Conti from W S Wales on a Triumph. The run took us through some lovely countryside on roads that lacked many of the potholes of the last few days. We stopped at Kirkham Abbey for photos and to watch boys jumping off the bridge into the river. At least they looked cool as our temperatures began to climb. After lunch we spent a little time looking around the museum and talking to Ken Craven. We were then joined by Paddy Winters for the return run. Spotting the sign for Thixendale I knew there was a shop selling ice cream. Great on a hot day like today. Everyone else had the same idea as there were bikes parked all along the main road. We sat in the shade under a tree enjoying a vanilla icecream. From here the roads were great through the dales and over the hills back to camp.
We all went to the club in the evening as Bruce was playing. He entertained us for over an hour with songs and jokes.

Wednesday 27th
Wednesday morning was again misty at Seamer with the promise of clear weather for the 10.30 start. Rob, Terry and Gareth were joined by Paddy on his yellow Honda 400/4. Today's run was to Whitby with the bikes put on show on the harbour for the public to view. All of us we're looking forward the pensioners' special of fish, chips, peas, bread and butter and tea in the Captain Quarterdeck. Very good value at about 7.
The route took us north east towards the high ground with views of the moors to our left and the coast to our right. Other than some gravel and speed limit of 20mph on the Forge Valley road all roads were smooth with little or no potholes. We turned off the main road to the quaintly named Boggle Hole. This narrow valley led to the sea and we could glimpse it sparkling in the sunshine below a bank of sea mist hanging in the air. We also made out the red roofs of the houses in the fishing village of Robin Hood's Bay.
Approaching Ugglebarnby we were caught up bt a few riders including Bruce and Diane on the Brough and Willy and Mady on the Honda. In no time we were in Whitby and threading our way through tourists and parking up on the West Pier. Bruce who was parked along side me let out a moan of despair. I thought there was something wrong with his Brough or my borrowed MSS. It was neither and it was far worse! With a look if horror Bruce pointed and looking in the direction of his index finger I spotted that the Captains Quarterdeck was closed! No pensioners special for us! Terry, Gareth and me decide to try the Magpie instead and Paddy walked into town. Gareth had the fish pie and we decided to have the regular haddock and chips as we thought the small haddock would be too small. Our faces must have been something to see as the food arrived as the fish were as long as the plate! They were nice too.
Meeting back at 2 pm, we decided to cut out the route which headed north up the coast to Sandsend and over the moors. Instead we took the main A169 to Pickering and detoured to Goathland for ice cream. This is the well known Aidensfield from Heartbeat. Our final stop was Thornton le Dale for a cuppa before heading back to camp and returning the MSS to it owner Derek with my grateful thanks.

Thursday 28th
Today Rob and Terry decided to forego the run to Paull Fort near Hull and visit York instead. Catching the bus from outside the camp site we reached York by 11. The weather was hot so we headed for the cool of the Shambles and market. After looking around and getting lunch we headed for an afternoon in the National Railway Museum before getting the bus back to camp in time for the evening hog roast. Both Rob and Terry were leaving on Friday, Rob to go to the Velocette national rally at Chasewater and Terry to go home.