The Isle of Wight Scurry - 13th to 18th September 2013
(Click any photo to see a larger picture - then just follow the slide show.)

Terry and Dilys Hopes, plus Jean and I had entered this event and this year Rob J had managed to get an entry for his '52 Velo MAC.

Jean and I set off a day early as we were riding the Indian in the 'Salisbury Saunter' on Thursday the 12th September. This was an event run by Ian Clark and Bette Barber as an APMC (Association of Pioneer Motor Cyclists) event. As an advert for the APMC, membership is 20 for life and 'companion' membership is available to anyone who has held a licence for over 40 years - 'Pioneer' membership, if you have held a licence for over 50 years. Tony Danielsen and myself are the only APMC members from the South Wales Section.

Back to the event - it started with a good lunch in the Fox and Goose at Coombe Bisset, just south of Salisbury after which we had a 35 mile ride along the Ebble river valley, ending up at Bette Barbers house for afternoon tea and a look at the collection of machines that her late husband, Brian, had put together. A pleasant run and a nice day out.

Jean and I then moved on to the New Forest and the Woodfalls Inn for the night. The following day it was then just a short distance to Lymington and the Ferry for the Isle of Wight. We were booked on the 12.45 but, despite all the time wasting tactics that I could muster, we arrived at the ferry around 10am and they put us on the 10.45 boat. We were soon at the Brighstone holiday camp on the south side of the island, which was to be the base for the Scurry and had originaly been built in 1932. A real hi-de-hi establishment, but the cabins were certainly up to hotel standards and quite comfortable. Rob and Terry arrived and we all had a super buffet at the get together that evening.

Saturday 14th
Today we were to ride into Newport to put all our bikes on display in St Thomas' Square before moving on to Newport Quay to join the Classic car show that was being staged. Not a busy riding day at all, but certainly an enjoyable one. Also on display were a collection of interesting bicycles.

Back at camp, and Rob decided to fiddle with the carb float on his Velo. He'd played with it before coming to the Island and had moved the float up the needle to try and cure some rough running that he'd diagnosed as a rich mixture. After having had a discussion with the rest of the South Wales Team, Rob took the carb apart and put the float back where it should be. The bike sounded ok when it was given a blast up and down the main road outside the camp.
The evening saw us all in the Hong Kong Express restaurant in Freshwater for a good feed before retiring to bed.

Sunday 15th
This was the day of the Scurry, which set off towards the west of the island and through Freshwater. I was sure that I knew where we were going and that was a mistake, as I took the wrong turning to Freshwater, with Terry following. We were soon passing everyone else heading in the opposite direction and following my presmise of not following others we pressed on - how wrong I was. We ended up in Yarmouth and as I knew that the coffee stop was in Chessil pottery I headed that way on the side roads. As soon as we'd completed the detour and re-joined the main road we came across Rob and his Velo, stopped at the side of the road. Rob was sitting on the bike and he waved us on. I half expected him to join in behind us and it wasn't until we got to the coffee stop that we found that he wasn't with us. Ok!! so you know what's coming next, I expect. We didn't see Rob again until the lunch stop only to find that he and the Velo had been swept up by the back-up truck as a breakdown. Basically the problem was a broken needle jet in the carb.

Back at camp and a new needle jet was scrounged and Rob's Velo sorted. We did think of confiscating his tool roll but thought that there was no need as he only had it for show anyway, so all we did was extract a promise from him that he wouldn't fiddle with his bike again during our stay on the Island.

Monday 16th
One of the things that was to take place today, was a birthday party for a 1913 Alldays and Onions motorcycle that had been in the same family and on the Island from new. Chris Thomas had brought his 1911 Alldays and Dave Lewis rode a 1912 model. Chris also brought his fathers 1909 Alldays and Onions Veteran car. Any how, the day started with Terry making a few adjustments to his Ariel before we all set off for Calbourne Mill, where we were to spend a few hours before moving on to Limerstone and the place of the 1913 Alldays birthday party.

Tuesday 17th
Today we were to have a ride on the Waverley around the Island, but were told early on that it had been cancelled due to high winds. Anyway, first on the agenda was a visit to the Harry Ferguson family museum. That was very interesting and an insight into the life of a very clever innovator. From the Ferguson museum we moved on to the Victoria fort for a coffee and a visit to the model railway exhibition. Terry, Rob and myself spent ages doing the childrens quiz of spotting various items on the layout - hardly noticing all the trains that were running.

The evening buffet and get together included the prize giving - a nice end to a super few days. None of us won anything, apart from a good smile.

As a footnote, Terry and Rob returned on the Yarmouth/Lymington ferry, whilst Jean and I were booked on the Fishbourne/Portsmouth route. During the weekend, Rob had completed an Ebay purchase and was to go to Swindon on the way home to pick up his goods, all seemed ok, but the Romahome's low fuel light came on around Bristol on the way back. 'No probs', thought Rob, I have 40 miles before things get desperate. Magor services were reached before the Romahome expired, so the AA were called upon, as the fuel gauge was still showing a quarter full tank. The nice AA man checked the fuel and found that it was coming through all right, when operating the hand pump in the fuel line. So it was a case of 'recovery to home'. The problem then, was that the AA man could take the Romahome but did not have a tow hook for the trailer on his truck. As luck would have it, along came a Motorway Patrol car and that had a tow hook, so Rob had assistance from both the AA and the Motorway Patrol to get him home - how lucky can you be? The following day Rob contacted his usual garage and it was suggested that he got a gallon of diesel in a can and put that in the campervan, just to be sure, before arranging for it to go into the garage for repair. Rob did that - and lo, and behold - it started and has been running ever since. Just goes to show that fuel gauges are not always trustworthy.