The Saundersfoot week, September 2015.
(Click any photo to see a larger picture - then just follow the slide show.)
Thanks to Rob, John and Terry for their photos.

Following hot on the heels of the Cornish week, a number of us headed to Saundersfoot for the annual road trial weekend followed by a week of ride-outs. Those who went were:

Bruce and Di - 1975 Honda 400/4 and 1943 Triumph 3HW
Rob Jones - 1976 Honda 400/4
Howard and Carol - 1983 Lomax
Terry and Dilys - 1981 Moto Guzzi
Bill and Jean - 1925 Indian and 1974 Moto Morini
John and Ruth - 1962 BSA, BSA A10 and a Honda 400/N

We arrived on Friday and Jean and myself, along with Howard and Carol booked into the house that we had rented. Everyone else were staying on the Broadfield Holiday park, which was the base for the event.

Saturday - the trial day
We all congregated in the harbour and got ready for the 10am start.

Leaving for the run

Lunch stop in Rhos

Back at the finish in Saundersfoot after a hard ride on narrow lanes with some 1 in 4 hairpins to test the riders and bikes

The evening dinner took place in the Merlewood hotel, although not all of our section riders made it. After the meal there was a band entertaining until quite late. The trial results were available and Bruce and Di managed to win the Post Vintage class, with our Rob taking the Runner-up spot in the Classic class.

This was the day to meet back on the Harbour for the Concours d'elegance and the presentation of the Concours trophies. There were a few special awards and Terry received one as he had been riding the event since 1958 - doesn't look a day over 25.

After the presentation of the awards there was a short run before a stop at a local pub for lunch.

This was the day for Chris Thomas's west Pembs run around the Castlemartin peninsula. We set off at around 11am and headed to Pembroke town and out towards Angle. At Angle we took a dirt track that was part of the beach in several places before arriving at Tor point and the 'The Old Point House' pub for coffee. The pub was closed and after waking the Landlord, who said that no one had told him we were coming, jugs of coffee were provided; the landlord did say afterwards that there was a note in his diary but that he just hadn't read it:

From Tor point we headed out across the Castlemartin ranges only to find the main road closed due to the Army carrying out some gun practice. I wasn't too difficult to find our way around and we were soon at Bosherton where there was a pub and cafe to choose from for lunch.

Rob, along with Howard & Carol decided to visit St Govans Chapel which wasn't very far from the Bosherton cafe. It consists of a small chapel built halfway down the cliff face and reached via a set of rock steps. St Govan was an Irish Monk and a hermit who lived in a cave on the side of the cliff near Bosherton, he died in 586 and the chapel was built over the cave in the 14th century.

From Bosherton, It was a short ride back along the ridge way to Tenby, re-fuel, and back to the campsite to put the bikes to bed.

The evening was spent having a meal in the bar at Broadfields, after which we had a quiz. It was very much like our Black Bag nights. There were two bags, one red and one green and we had to identify the items inside by feeling them through the bags. Myself, Jean, Howard and Carol won the green bag with 10 out of 10, but only correctly guessed 3 items in the red bag. Can't remember how the others got on, I'm afraid.

Today we had a 100 mile run to St Davids and back. As we had had enough of the small Pembrokeshire lanes it was decided that we would use the main roads and ride straight there. It was cold and raining as we all set off with Val Newton joining us in her Lomax. We made Haverfordwest easily enough but found the main road to St Davids closed off in the centre of town. After a drive around we eventually found our way out and onto the road to St Davids. Val pulled up alongside me at one point and suggested that we stop in Solva for coffee - sounded good to me and as we headed north the rain stopped and the sun came out, which was a blessing. I was first to arrive in the Solva car park and the attendant pointed me to an area where the bike could be tucked away at no charge. That didn't last as two lomaxes and a dozen or so bikes all piled in - so we all ended up paying 1 each to park. The attendant pointed us to a small cafe where they did bacon rolls. Can't beat a mug of tea and a bacon roll.

From the cafe we rode down to the harbour to have a look around:

From Solva we headed on to St Davids for lunch and arrived at the small car park in no time at all. Lunch wasn't on for all of us, although some did frequent the pasty shop, whilst the rest of us sat in the sun and watched the world go by.

We decided that we would take a different route back from St Davids, via the Cleddau Bridge. That involved a rather silly toll for a motorcycle of 35p, but included the Lomaxes, which pleased them. We rode through Pembroke, Lamphey and Tenby back to Broadfields.

Some of us decided that we'd frequent the Dragon Palace Chinese restaurant for an evening meal, as it is probably one of the best Chinese restaurants in Pembrokeshire. We weren't let down at all as the food was first class.

Today was a day off the bikes, which I was grateful for as I had problems with walking on my right foot. All down to kicking the Indian up on the weekend and that had damaged my big toe joint - which was since aggravated by gear changes on the Morini. So the evening run to Laugharne for fish and chips was done in the car. Rob and Terry rode however, as did most of the others. The fish & chips were ok and whilst we were there Val Newton walked in with a birthday cake for young Terry. It was a good evening, although Rob was having more charging problems with his Honda and had a fingers crossed ride back to camp.

The final day of riding and today the route headed towards a woollen mill for lunch followed by a visit to the pretty bay at Mwnt. I was still suffering with big toe problems so Jean and I stayed back in the house. Everyone else had a good day, I was told. The evening meal and entertainment in the Broadfield bar and restaurant was provided by Huw Evans from Laugharne who was described as a 'vocal artiste'. He was good and had us all guessing who was the original singer of the song. Our table didn't do too bad at identifying the original singers, although a few caught us out. For sure, an excellent evenings entertainment.

Bruce and Di had returned home on Thursday, as they had to get their bike ready to ride the Levis Cup Trial; whilst the rest of us loaded up and leisurely drove home after a excellent event, held mainly in decent weather.