The Irish Welsh weekend Event 2014

(Click any photo to see a larger picture - then just follow the slide show.)

Jean and I had just finished the Slievenamon weekend, so we moved on to the Rhu Glenn hotel at Slieverue, which is just outside Waterford, to wait for the following weekend when the West South Wales Section had their visit for a weekend of riding with the Leinster Classic Motorcycle club. The get together takes place each year and alternates between Wales and Ireland - this year was the 20th occasion of the event. Before the weekend, Jean and I had a few days to have a look around the area and just be 'tourists'.

Friday was soon upon us and the West Wales members - along with Rob J - were expected to arrive in Rosslare at about 6pm and the hotel by around 7.15. We waited and waited and it was nearly 9pm by the time everyone arrived, all due to the ferry being late. It was then a case of say a few hellos and dive in for the evening meal, before heading for bed or the bar.

Saturday dawned a bit cloudy and grey, there was definitely a spot of the wet stuff in the air. The run was not due to start until a civilised 12 noon, so there was plenty of time for breakfast and for us to unload the Morini from the van. We were very grateful that we had taken a second bike with us - and the fact that it had suspension. I took some photos as everyone readied themselves. Sorry there are few details on what and who, as I have no list of bikes present and am lousy at remembering names:

The run was to operate on the 'drop off' system and it worked quite well as we set off northwards towards New Ross. Soon we were off onto the side roads which seemed a whole lot better than those that we had ridden on the previous weekend, or was it the fact that the Morini had suspension? We had an afternoon stop organised in the pretty village of Inistioge, with the following pics being taken there:

We then moved on to Graiguenamanagh and a 20 minute stop on the quay side where we met a couple from the town that ran their local news website. Lot's of photos were taken and maybe a group one will come our way sometime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe a few notes about Egzon, who was riding in Val Newton's Lomax - read about what had happened to him here. Just in case you're interested further, visit Val Newton's Wales Romanian Aid website and see what she does.

The rain had really not come to much at all during the day out, and in fact we saw some patchy sunshine. Back at the ranch, as the saying goes, Rob, who's 400/4 was not charging it's battery, removed the battery for it's daily charging in the hotel bedroom overnight. The bike had developed the non-charging fault two weeks earlier on the South West Coast run, but that didn't daunt our Rob from risking it in Ireland. Meanwhile, Graham, or was it Gareth, was having battery problems with his BSA outfit, as his solid state battery had exploded, so the Indian battery was loaned out to help solve that problem. The evening consisted of an excellent rally dinner:

Sunday dawned and the weather had really perked up and we had sunshine most of the day - at the start were a few more bikes that I hadn't seen the day before:

We set off on the 10 mile run north to New Ross and then down the other side of the river Barrow. We ended up at the 'Passage East' ferry with the crossing for all of the bikes having been arranged before hand.

From the ferry we headed along the coast to Tramore, a small seaside town complete with funfair. Our lunch stop was at the 'Majestic' hotel.

After Lunch we travelled some 16 odd miles along the 'Copper Coast' road and it was Rob who spotted that I had missed the next turning. There was a group of four bikes in front and they also missed the turning - must remember not to blindly follow others. The next stop was at Crotty's Inn:

William Crotty, who the pub is named after was an highwayman. He used to steal from the rich and give any excess to the poor. He was hung, drawn and quartered in 1742 when barely 30 years of age. The run back to the Rhu Glenn was along some of Irelands better roads and a real pleasure to ride.

The following day was a free day as the ferry back home was not until 9pm. Rob and a few others decided to go and see the Hook Lighthouse, while Jean and I settled for Wexford and the Johnstown Castle Agricultural Museum. We managed to get caught in a torrential downpour in Wexford but the sun then came out for the rest of the day and our visits were very interesting, I must say. Then, on the way back to Rosslare and the ferry, my mobile rang, a text from Rob asking to borrow the Morini Battery as his had eventually given up the ghost. We met at a pub just above the ferryport and batterys were swapped. I can see a business opening here - 'Batteries R Us', I reckon, rent your battery from me.

For Jean and myself we were back home by 3am, whilst Rob stayed with Graham who lives in Goodwick, a mere mile from the ferry and travelled home the following day.

Bill P