The Cornwall weekender, September 2014.
(Click any photo to see a larger picture - then just follow the slide show.)
Thanks to Rob, Howie and Terry for their photos.

This was a new event for us all and a different part of the country to explore. The base was at the Monkey Tree Holiday Park, between Newquay and Perranporth, where most of the entrants were booked in. Howard and Carol along with Jean and I had booked a B&B in nearby St Newlyn East. We all arranged to leave for Cornwall on Thursday with my van towing the Lomax on an A frame, as it would have been a bit daunting driving the three-wheeler the 200 miles to Cornwall, using the motorways. Our total section contingent consisted of:

Bruce and Di - 1943 Triumph and 1975 Honda 400/4
Vince and Angela - 1951 Vincent Comet
Rob Jones - 1976 Honda 400/4
Howard and Carol - 1983 Lomax
Terry and Dilys - 1981 Moto Guzzi
Bill and Jean - 1974 Moto Morini

The weather forecast was good for the whole of the event, for which we were all grateful, I'm sure. Some 58 entrants plus passengers had entered, although 4 had to cancel before the day.

Friday 12th - The West Cornwall run
With signing on done and route sheets attached to the bikes, we all assembled at the campsite entrance for the 10am start.

The days mileage was around 78 miles, just about right in my book, as we all set off South towards Truro. We skirted the town and were soon on the banks of the Carnon river. I was leading and missed a turn into Quay Road, but after stopping and asking a local we were soon back on the right track and heading into Penryn on the outskirts of Falmouth for the first stop of the day after covering 25 miles.

We headed out of Falmouth and passed through some small villages before stopping in Gweek at the head of the Helford River for lunch at the Black Swan pub.

From Gweek we headed north and on the road to Gwithian I took a level crossing far too fast and everything bottomed out, with Jean leaving the pillion seat completely. The same happened to Bruce and Di who were riding behind us, after which, all the others saw the problem and slowed down. Just a bit further down the road my Morini started to make some funny noises as we slowly headed for the next stop in Portreath. After investigating I found that the rear of the frame had broken, right on an old repair. That had caused the mudguard to drop and the rear tyre was then rubbing on the number plate bolts as the suspension compressed each time we went over a rough bit of road. I reckoned that we could continue quietly by trying to avoid bumps and the sudden compression of the rear suspension - easier said than done, of course. Meanwhile an ice cream was called for:

There was a further tea stop at a Cider farm but we all decided not to make the detour, for which I was grateful, as the Morini damage was a touch disturbing. So, after a quiet 15 mile run back to base, I had a good look at the frame and mudguard and removed the offending number plate bolts that protruded inside the guard by a good half inch. They were digging into the tyre as the suspension compressed. I then put them all in backwards, on the basis that by doing that I'd get a bit more suspension travel and hopefully the tyre would not make contact with the mudguard quite so easily.

Saturday 13th - Bodmin Moor run
Today Bruce decided to do his own thing and use his Honda to visit the Lappa Valley steam railway, whilst the rest of us set off for the 32 mile run towards Wadebridge and the coffee stop at the St Endellion garden centre farm shop. After some 8 miles from the start we were looking for a left turn to Trevarrian which was not signposted and in making a U-turn to pick up the correct road, Terry overbalanced the Guzzi, and it went down. Luckily no one was hurt and all the bike suffered was a broken indicator lens. By this time Bruce and Di had caught us up and after recovering, we all set off for the first stop of the day. After the coffee stop we headed north through Port Isaac, famous for doubling up as Port Wenn in the 'Doc Martin' TV series. I must say that I didn't recognize any of the Port Isaac that we rode through, so I checked it out when I got home and it actually turned out to be Port Gaverne. The roads through Port Isaac would have been too narrow for all of us, so we just touched on the top of the village before heading out through Port Gaverne. From there we headed out onto Bodmin moor.

We passed the Jamaica Inn and Dozemary pool of Daphne Du Maurier fame, before skirting Colliford Lake and stopping at Colliford Tavern after another 35 mile run. Howard was getting low on fuel in the Lomax so one of the Cornwall section took him off to find some fuel at Bodmin, after we had all been well fed with some excellent sandwiches provided by the Cornwall section members.

After lunch the rest of us had a 26 mile run to the Screech Owl sanctuary where we were treated to a flying display. I indulged in a cream tea at the cafe, which was a bit of a mistake, as I felt quite stuffed, but you have to do these things - don't you? By this time Howard and Carol were back with us for the final 12 miles back to base. The day's total mileage was 105.7 miles and the Morini suspension wasn't too bad although it was still bottoming out occasionally. So, back at camp I removed the one offending bolt completely, leaving just one to hold the upper part of the number plate mount. That, I reckoned would give us just a tad more suspension movement before the tyre came into contact with the guard. Fingers crossed the bike would get through the final days riding with no further problems.

The evening consisted of a get together and a fish and chip supper in the 'Summer nights' bar and takeaway.

Sunday 14th - East Cornwall run
We headed East for some 22 miles, towards St Austell and the first stop at the Wheal Martin China Clay Heritage Museum. One of the Cornish members had brought a Triumph speedway outfit for display, which certainly drew some interest.

From the museum it was a 25 mile run to the Halfway House pub on the A38, Bodmin to Liskeard road. most of us partook of a super Sunday Lunch, whilst Bruce and Di headed off towards Trago Mills for their lunch stop.

Rob set off on the afternoon run through Looe and Polperro, whilst Terry, Howard, along with Jean and I, decided to head straight back to the Monkey Tree. Total mileage for the day 105.1 and the Morini had held up ok, suffering with nothing more than an added groove in the rear tyre.

After loading up the bikes, the evening consisted of a get together in the 'Summer nights' bar to say goodbyes. We were all presented with a very nice commemorative mug after all the 'thanks' were expressed. All in all a super event and all thanks must go to the Cornish section members. I'm told that the event next year will probably be expanded up to a week long.