Reports of Section Runs and Meetings for 2016

New way to view the photos using a slide show type of presentation, just click any photo to start there.

2nd January
It was a bit of a miserable day yesterday for the New Years Day run, but some made it out on two wheels. What a nice change to be welcomed at the Victoria Inn in Sigingstone compared to being told not to come back at the Blue Anchor last year. A quick headcount had some 27 members sitting down for lunch.

20th March
The day of the Spring run, cold and over clouded until later in the day. The best part of 20 turned out for the run and the group set off at 10.30 for the Steel Horse Cafe just off the Abergavenny/Usk road, at Llanvihangel Gobion. The cold weather meant that some opted not to continue further whilst the remaining group then headed for Llandovery at the Owls Nest cafe at the old garden centre on the A4069 road out of Llandovery towards Llangadog. The group was made very welcome and thanked for coming, which was nice. All in all a good day and enjoyed by everyone.

Thanks to John F for the photos

30th March
Wednesday - Bruce G and I headed westwards to Brian and Wynne's house to fit a rather nice Bender sidecar to Brian's Ariel. We took Dewi E with us for company and to visit Brian. It took us all day, but eventually we completed the job. Bruce was a real whiz on the hacksaw, as we modified fittings to make them fit. The photos say it all:

14th April
The 51st Coventry to Brighton Run Saturday 9th April 2016 - thanks to Bruce G for the notes.
I was unaware that there was such an event as the Coventry to Brighton Run until I read an article written by a participant in our VMCC journal.
Me and Dianne decided to enter the event which was organised by the Midland Section of the VMCC. The start would be held in the large open space in front of the city centre Coventry Transport museum. I had no doubt that our military Triumph would be the most suitable motorcycle to use, bearing in mind Triumph's long history with Coventry and thereabouts. My 3HW was born there in 1943.
We entered and booked both hotel Accommodation and evening dinner with the organisers, for our expected arrival at Brighton.
On the Saturday, from 8am onwards the earliest motorcycles were flagged off by the Lord Mayor of Coventry. Judging for the various awards on offer also took place at the start. By the way, there were 94 entries and of these 33 were Triumphs ranging from 1930 to 2014. The 25 year rule did not apply to this event. Ironically, enquiries at Brighton revealed that there were only two breakdowns and both were Triumphs.
For various reasons we arrived at the start late at 9am. We met the Lord Mayor and signed on with a team who were packing up. But we weren't the last to arrive. We followed organiser Bob Badland out of Coventry until I could see where we were on the issued route instructions.
The idea of the run came from a chap named Fred Lewis. In the 1950's he would ride from Coventry to visit friends in Brighton. He decided that this run would be ideal as an official VMCC event. The first few runs started from the Triumph factory at Meriden.
A comfortable speed for me, Dianne and the bike was 45 mph.The 3HW was happy at this speed and me and Diane could view the countryside, oh yes, and the road.Soon we were through Banbury and stopping at the organised coffee stop at Deddington. This was our first real chance to meet other entrants. On entering Banbury, there had been two "breakdown groups". Half a dozen entrants gathered around a Dominator with it's seat removed and another group were trying to start a WL Harley. Both did eventually arrive in Brighton.
We sailed on using the ring road around Oxford and headed for the sunny lunch stop at a Henley-on-Thames pub. My lunch was a packet of crisps and Di's was a glass of water, as we didn't feel well at all. We had befriended Trevor Pinfold and his wife Christine at the coffee stop and now we met them again at lunch. Trevor was riding a 1929 BSA outfit with Christine in the chair and went on to win the oldest combined age trophy. We kept meeting, either at the stops or on the road, another couple. They were Dino and Alison in a bathtub Speed twin with Watsonian sidecar bought recently on Ebay. Then came the challenge of passing through Guilford. This was made easy when I tagged onto the rear of the oldest motorcycle entered. This was the speedy, sat Nav equipped, 1926 Sunbeam of Dave Thomas. As the oldest machine,the rider had the duty of carrying the letter of greetings from the Lord Mayor of Coventry to the Lady Mayoress of Brighton and Hove (now a city ). So the route through Guildford was a dawdle, enhanced by the sweet aroma of burnt Castrol R  from the Sunbeam's exhaust.
Just south of Guildford was the tea stop at the apparently well known Trodd's Cafe where we met with sidecar chums and also NACC man, Bill Danks.
The Triumph had caused no bother at all. Just plodding on and on. Stopping and starting just fine. Because we were carrying luggage for an overnight stay the canvas panniers were full. As a result I had no space for the reserve gallon of fuel I would normally carry. On the safe side I stopped for fuel more often than I really needed to, but better that than running out as I had no reserve tap. At one filling station I could only get a fiver's worth of petrol in.
Then I saw a sign - Brighton 20. I knew we would make it.
There was one last visit to the pumps and hells bells !. There was huge pool of petrol rapidly expanding beneath the bike. It must have been leaking for miles. The 276 carb base nut that holds the float chamber to the carb body was on the last couple of threads. I tightened it.
About five we arrive at the sea front but the Lady Mayoress had got cold and had gone home. She was due to greet all riders but it was a bit chilly.
En route Dianne had been sick by a bluebell wood ( I had been sick at 4pm'ish) when we were in the midst of a cycle race and with nothing all day, except my crisps, we were now hungry. The 3 course celebratory dinner went down very well. Amazingly the table seating plan had our sidecar friends sat with us.
Ex-President Tim Penn presented awards and presented me with the pre 1945 award. There was an ex Len Ore 1938 Ariel that was superb. It would have been my choice. I puzzled over why we had the award as there were ten pre 1945 machines. There were also ten pre 1931. I think my award was given for merit rather than concours, as we were the only pre 1945 ridden two up.
Rather than the sometime scenic tour route of 155 miles we had followed on the way down, all entrants would be expected to choose their own routes home as it was only a Saturday event. So, I drew a straight line across the map from Brighton to Coventry and planned a route as close as I could to the line.
The weather was superb when we set off at about 9.30am after a full English and with the odd route cock-up and with a pub lunch at Bracknell we arrived at the camping and our camper just south of Coventry at 4 o'clock. Three hundred miles of trouble free motorcycling, apart from that loose nut, all done in the two days.
Would we do it again? Probably not - but this event did have a very good atmosphere.
By the way the two Triumphs that broke down. A Pre unit T100 had a burnt out clutch and a seventies twin had a "cooked" battery. I stopped to offer help which was declined. "The breakdown van is on it's way ". I was told.

1st May
Relay rally - a few photos from John F from the Swansea and Abergavenny checkpoints.
Rob Jones and John Fisher had decided to visit the four Welsh Sections for the Relay Rally. At 9.30 on a damp Sunday morning we met at Aberdare. Rob was on his Honda GB400TT and John was on his Triumph 90. Also Joining us was Wayne on a modern bike. Karl Hunter was hoping to come but as he had worked Saturday night he was going to catch us on route.
The ride to the Swansea District check point an M and Ps was dry and uneventful. After signing on and having a quick chat we decided to push on to Llandovery and the West South Wales check point. Karl was texted with our ETA and we headed toward the M4. Unfortunately there must have been an accident as the road was gridlocked. Taking the old A48 to Pontarddulais we crossed the M4 and saw that traffic heading East was stationary and no traffic at all was heading West. It was a good decision to head on the old road. The A roads from Pontarddulais to Ammanford, Llaneilo and Llandovery are good but unfortunately the rain began, which was to be our constant companion until lunch. We tootled on at about 50 mph and kept an eye out for other Vintage Club bikes. We didn't notice any, although we did see some modernish bikes.
Jim Codd was at Llandovery and we signed on and chatted before heading on to Brecon. The lads from Swansea arrived just as we we getting ready to leave. We were all pretty damp by now so Wayne headed home. John and I diverted to Talgarth where we were going to have a Sunday Lunch at the New Inn. We managed to dry our gloves in the pub and suitably refreshed we headed over the mountain to Tretower and on to the Gwent Section check point at Abergavenny.
Just after Crickhowell we were overtaken by Karl Hunter on his 1976 Yamaha XT500. We all signed in at Abergavenny and had a chat in a lovely warm caravan with Henry, Mark, John and Sue. The rain had now stopped. Thank goodness! Karl had left Aberdare about 11o'clock and had been catching us up. He tagged on and we headed to Tintern via Raglan and the lanes through Llansoy. We arrived at our checkpoint which was manned by Howard and Carol at about 3.30. And signed on and collected our fourth sticker. While we were there a few other bikes called in, a very nice AJS and another Triumph. A few people came across to chat about the bikes and what we had been doing. Howard explained that they had been visited by over 50 machines. Not only that, but they had had a mostly dry day!! John left us to head home via the M4 and Karl and Rob took the winding B roads to Usk and Pontypool and home. All in all a grand day out.

Howard and Carol had our checkpoint up and ready well before 10:00am. The first group of visitors arrived at 9:40 and were told to come back at 10, but they refused so Carol booked them in. Weather was warm (in the sun) with a few spots of rain late morning, not enough to seek shelter from. Rain did however come at 1:30 ish and lasted approx 40 mins., then back to dry conditions. Which gave a pleasant afternoon. Onto the important bit; 13 signed on as starting at Tintern and we had 37 visitors giving a total attendance of 50.
South Wales Section members who paid us a visit:
Brian Morris
Dave Danielson
Rob Jones
John Fisher
Karl Hunter
Peter Hunter

9th May
Yesterday was the day for the 53rd South West Coast Run and a number of our members ventured across the channel:
John F - 1962 BSA C15
Rob J - 1959 Velo MAC
Howard J - 1983 Lomax
Roger and Iris  - 1987 PAC
John B - 1955 Square four Ariel
Brian M - 1975 BMW
Andy G - 1983 Laverda
Bill, Jean and Josie - 1942 Willys Jeep
Barry had entered his little Suzuki CP80 but never made the start - hope all is ok?

This event always attracts 100 plus entrants and there was a good turnout, as usual, at the Failand Village Hall. We had left Sth Wales in the midst of some drizzle and dark clouds, but by the time we reached the start, the sun was out and the day looked to be very promising. Rob had already arrived with his motorhome and trailer and was all ready to immediately head off to Scotland after the event for a Velo owners club rally. John had also trailered his C15 whilst all the rest rode their bikes over. The entrants set off on the usual loop, down onto the B road that runs through Long Ashton before turning left outside the Ashton Court Gate on to B3128. From there the route turns right and joins the A369 that heads towards Portishead and the morning coffee stop. John Mockett was on his first outing with his rare 1920 Model T Ford Centre door sedan. The car was the star of the TV series 'Flambards' in 1978 and had been laid up in store ever since, and this was the cars first outing since John had acquired it.

From Portishead we all continued on to Clevedon along the coast road that has spectacular views out over the channel. We had a selected lunch stop at the Little Harp Inn and I just managed to squeeze the Jeep in before we went in to find a table for a Sunday lunch. The others eventually turned up, whilst Howard and Roger had to park their three-wheelers in the main car park across the field as the pub car park was really chokka. Lunch was good though.

There were two options for the afternoon route, one long and one short. I opted for the short, as the Jeep was playing up with what felt like fuel starvation. Consequently, we were one of the earliest to make the finish. That gave me the opportunity to get some photos:

After the prize giving we all headed home, whilst Rob set off for Scotland and an overnight stop at Cannock Chase.

18th May
It was our turn to receive the VMCC baton from the Swansea Section. Five members turned out on two wheels at the Llanharry club and rode to Cowbridge common, to find that Barry C was already there. Pretty soon Deryl turned up, making 7 section members in all.

South Wales members:
Rob Jones - Honda CB400F 1976
Bill Phelps - Moto Morini 3 1/2 1974
Andy Grew - Moto Morini 500 1978
John Dunford - Triumph Bonneville 750 1981
Barry Cooksley - Honda 250
Deryl Vaughan-Jones - Peugeot Moped
Howard Jayne - Yamaha FJ1200 1991

The weather was dry and sunny for the ride down to the cafe on the A48 near Cowbridge.
The Swansea Section arrived promptly at 12 noon. Howard Jayne, Section Secretary, accepted the Baton from Gareth Thomas and photographs were taken. The Swansea group retired to the cafe for lunch, while the South Wales group rode via the National Folk Museum at St Fagans, skirting the edge of Cardiff, past the fairy castle of Castell Coch and on to Caerphilly with its large concentric castle (2nd largest castle in Great Britain), before finishing with refreshments at the cafe on top of Caerphilly mountain. Days travel about 30 miles.

20th May
South Wales members meet at the Cafe on top Caerphilly mountain before setting off with the Baton to pass onto the Bristol Section.
We stopped in Caerphilly for a photographic opportunity by the bronze plaque commemorating local man, Malcolm Uphill, TT racer. From Caerphilly we travelled along the A48, passing the remains of the walls of the Roman settlement of Caerwent before crossing the old Severn bridge and on to the Boars Head Pub in Aust, where we met members of the Bristol Section for the Baton transfer.  Distance from Caerphilly to Aust, 40 miles. Roger and Iris Mallett were at the Boars Head waiting for us to arrive.  Barry C, Vince C and Deryl Vaughan Jones returned home after lunch, whilst the rest of the group took a scenic route back to South Wales travelling via Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Chepstow to Usk and back to Caerphilly.

South Wales members:
Howard and Carol Jayne - Lomax 223 1984
Robert Jones - Honda
Barry Cookley - Suzuki gn 250
Kevin Rogers - Kawasaki
Andy Grew - Laverda.
Deryl Vaughan Jones - Honda ntv.
John Fisher - Honda CX650 1985.
Vince Chivers - Honda GB400TT 1986.

Total millage 150 for the day.

Rob J lead the way home (many thanks to him) over some really good motorcycling roads. We stopped at the Forest of Dean Railway for coffee and cake, John F having two slices.

Thanks to everyone for their support and company on both days.

5th June
The day of the Seaside run. We only had 36 entries for this event and the weather turned out to be glorious, so as usual, there was a spate of 'enter on the day' entries. That made the programme look a bit sparse as barely half the entries were included. A plea folks - please enter properly and in time so that you and your bike can be properly recorded in the programme. We will all then know what we are looking at. Unfortunately we only had one Vintage motorcycle and one Post Vintage motorcycle. Luckily all other classes were well supported, although we could have done with a few more four-wheelers. Seen at the start:

In the end we had 63 bikes, cars and three-wheelers leave the start at the Penarth Conservative club. The usual route along Penarth seafront, Barry Island and on to Nash point was followed. Seen at the Nash point coffee stop:

From Nash Point the route went around the coast, through Ogmore and on to Porthcawl, before arriving at the Green Acre Motel in North Cornelly for lunch. Seen at the Green Acre:

The return run to Penarth basically followed the A48 before dropping down and onto the top road at Barry. Then through Dinas Powis and the finish at Penarth. Trophy winners were presented with their awards by the Penarth town Mayor, Mike Cuddy. Only one trophy was not presented by the Mayor as the driver could not be found at the time, however, the cup was eventually handed out by John Lewis:

Many thanks to the Penarth Town Mayor, the Conservative Club, Nash point and the Green Acre Motel, not forgetting Barry Cooksley who provided a trailer in case of a breakdown. Special mention of thanks to Dave, John and Carol for their organisational skills.

6th June
Bring-a-bike night and the weather wasn't too bad for the 16 bikes that turned up. The voting for the John Wells cup was in unanimous favour of Ken Baxter's 1925 Round tank BSA.

19th June

The Banbury run, and we had no entries from our section this year and I was helping with judging the concours. Weatherwise it was a good day, nice to see Terry H and Ken B there. Anyway, a few photos of some of the machinery for you to look at:

26th June - notes from Geoff Harris, Photos from Geoff, Howard and Terry
Tor Cymru. Roof of Wales. Seven motorcycles and one three wheeler were at the start at Nantgarw, for the first Tor Cymru, Roof of Wales run. With heavy clouds in evidence they rode to Llandovery and then onto Llyn Briannie. Following a picturesque route around the reservoir and after a short stop at the dam, they rode to the picnic point where myself, my wife and the breakdown van and driver were waiting with the BBQ ready fired up and burgers and sausage cooking. The simple fare of burgers, hot dogs with fresh salad, potato salad and Bara Bryth, were partaken by all. My wife’s Bara Bryth turned out to be the “hit of the day”. To date I have not heard of a single fatality as a result of my cooking. Light rain drops started during the lunch stop and as a result the planned time for lunch was reduced and we set off on the rest of the run. We were now eight motorcycles, one three wheeler and a breakdown van. Now the rain started in earnest. By the time we reached “The Devils Staircase” the roads were soaking. Taking this tight and steep section of road in these circumstances was interesting. We rode along the Abergwesyn valley and onto Llanwrtyd Wells where we had planned to stop for coffee, but as we were all well soaked at this point, we decided to ride on. Riding through the military land over Eypynt through Upper Chapel and Lower Chapel we passed some spectacular views, which even in this weather were splendid; on through the town of Brecon and onto the A470. We stopped at the viewing point referred to as the Veranda to squeeze the water from our gloves and have a final chat whilst we waited for the breakdown van to arrive. My thanks to my wife Helena for her work in all the shopping and food preparation and, her Bara Bryth, and my thanks to Rob James for the loan of the breakdown van and driver “Smudger” otherwise known as David Smith.

4th July - the BBQ
With the weather looking a bit 'iffy', it was a case of putting up the awnings to be sure and, as it happened, we were quite lucky.  A big thank you to all who turned up and made all the effort worth while - hope you all enjoyed the evening. I must say a thank you to Howard for helping me assemble the garden and to Bruce for his help in breaking it all down and putting it all away.

10th July - Follow the Velo run
The day started with the weather not looking too good, but we made the whole run without any rain with just some of us experiencing just a touch on the run home. Thirteen bikes and fourteen members turned up for Rob's 'Follow the Velo' run. Bikes included Norton, BSA, Triumph, AJS and three Velos so people could follow one of their own choice. Rob led us from Nelson via Aberdare and over the Graig Mountain to Maerdy. From here we took the mountain road to Llanwonno, (used as a setting for Stella on Sky tv) with good views of the Rhondda Fach, Ynysybwl and Pontypridd. It was decided, due to heavy rain on Saturday, to miss out the road on Eglwysilan mountain so we headed straight along the A470 to the tea stop on Caerphilly mountain. Following the main roads we headed up the Llanbradach by pass and on to Crumlin and the Hafodyrynys Inn where we sat down to a very nice Sunday lunch. After lunch, Bob, Doug and the two John's returned home. The rest of us took the very bumpy mountain road over the British to Varteg. This road, although lacking a comfortable riding surface, did provide lovely views across the hills to Abertillery, Ebbw Vale and beyond to the north west and Newport, the River Severn and the Mendip Hills to the south. The run finished at the Blaenavon Railway where we watched an industrial tank engine arrive at Furnace sidings station, pushing one coach. Not long aftrewards a Hawksworth pannier pulling three beat, up the incline in fine form. We then all split up and headed home.

27th July - Wednesday evening ride out
The weather turned out to be quite pleasant for the ride to the Corntown Country Inn. In all we had some 12 bikes and two three wheelers - plus 17 members.

4th August - The 31st July Historic Tour
The weather for the day was fine and there was another good turnout at the Caerphilly Mountain cafe for Geoff Harris' 3rd Historic Tour. I counted 18 motorcycles and one Velocette. We set off for our first visit to Ewenny Priory, where the medieval church was specially opened up for us to look around. From Ewenny we headed for Pyle and the Ye Olde Wine House where some of us tucked into a Sunday lunch. Then it was on to Margam Park and after suffering a 'jobsworth' on the gate, and with some help from Geoff, we were eventually allowed through to park at the rear of the gatehouse. We visited the Orangery, Church, Part of which was specially opened up for us, the Citrus House, Monastic ruins and the Castle. All in all a grand day out, as Wallace would say.

7th August - The Simon Pritchard run
We had two meeting points for this event and all met up at the Aust services where a few of the Velo Owners Club were waiting for us. By that time our group had swollen to 20 motorcycles and two Lomaxes. The weather was good as we all headed over the old Severn Bridge, using the pedestrian route, which I must admit, I wasn't sure about. We then headed down the coast towards Avonmouth with the intention of arriving in Bristol for a visit to the SS Great Britain. Not long after we left Aust we came upon a road closure and so had to just follow the diversion signs, however, we eventually arrived at the SS Great Britain, only to find out that we had lost four bikes and one of the Lomaxes. The Lomax turned up but none of the four bikes that I saw and Pete M and Dave D were amongst those missing.
John F had 'celebrity' parking arranged on the dockside and two tour guides booked, one for 1pm and the other for 2.15pm. As we were down a bit on numbers, our first tour guide, Peter, said that he could manage all of our party, so, the second guide was cancelled. The tour of the ship took well over an hour and it would take a whole book to describe what we saw. Afterwards some of us headed for the cafe and others the museum. It was agreed that we would meet back at the bikes for a 4pm departure for home. After assembling a small group decided to take the motorway home whilst the rest opted for the same route back that we had used coming over. We all set off and it wasn't long before the great plan started to fall apart. There were bikes going this way and that - all trying to find a way out of the docks area and onto the Portway. I came along one road only to find several others on the road below mine. John F doubled back and picked up a few others. Anyway, we all made it home safely, that I've heard. I must say that the ride back across the Severn Bridge was one that I did not enjoy, due to the high side wind. I think that I held my breath all the way across, not to mention the tight clenching of the buttocks. Big thanks to John F for all the organisation. These are a selection of some of the photos that Rob and I took.

15th August - The Fish & Chip run
Some 17 members on a variety of bikes and three wheelers met at Cowbridge Common for the annual Fish and Chip Run. Dave Danielsen led off down the A48 before heading to Wick and St Brides. The weather was excellent with the bright sunshine reflecting back off the sea at Ogmore. Passing the castle we turned off for Ewenny, rejoining the A48 before taking the lanes back to the Clubhouse. Here we caught up with members who didn't do the run, others whose bike failed to start and one who seemed to have taken a slightly different route. Anyway the food was good and everyone enjoyed themselves.

17th September - James and the Giant Peach
This all started by us getting a request to provide motorcycles to carry Grannies on the pillion. We were needed for the weekend of the 17th/18th September to carry the 'Biker Grannies Peach Rescue Squadron' - ok, I know, but it was all part of the Dahl story of James and the Giant Peach. So, we assembled on Ocean Way in Cardiff, on the evening of Wednesday the 31st August to meet 'our' grannies and to give them a ride around a car park. It was explained what we were to do, yet no matter who you talked to, we got a different story, right up to the end. So, dress rehearsal - Sunday 11th September in the playground of the Fitzalan High School. We carried our grannies in to rescue the giant Peach from being cut up.

The Giant Peach story was to be a surprise, so we were asked not to post any pictures of the rehearsal online until after the day of the event. So, onto the day of the 17th September and our part in the story. We assembled on Fitzhamon Embankment and after the roads on the City Centre were closed, we rode into wood street and parked up alongside a group of Morris Minors that were carrying 'The Ministry' - you need to read the story to see where they fit in. Anyway, our grannies arrived and helmets were passed around. The Peach arrived and moved to the bottom of St Mary Street and it wasn't long before our turn came. We rode in with our grannies, who all hopped off the bikes to go and rescue the Peach from being cut up. We then managed to thread our way up Westgate Street and parked on the entrance to the Millennium Stadium to watch the Peach procession pass by. All in all a fun day, that seemed to work ok.

18th September - the Vale of Glamorgan run
The day dawned nice and sunny and we were promised that it would stay that way. We had 20 entries with another 7 turning up on the day. It wasn't long before everyone was setting off on the 34 mile leg to the lunch stop at the Horseshoe Inn at Marcross. Fed and watered it wasn't long before we all set off for the afternoon run, arriving back at the finish by 4pm. No breakdowns, thank goodness, and whilst a few took some wrong turnings, no-one missed a checkpoint. All in all a good day and hopefully I can get the results out before next weekend.

3rd October - the Cyclemotor section 100 miler
An early start from Rhoose saw me in Quainton near Aylesbury at 6.30am for the start of this years Cyclemotor 100 miler. the day was bright but chilly when the organisers arrived at the village hall and I was the only entrant there. Laurie got me on my way at 7.30am proudly wearing the number one marker. It was a joy to be on the road so early on the sabbath with my 49cc Jawa, after a good deal of prepping, singing its little heart out - and indeed it did the 100 without missing a beat even if it was at 28 mph. First lap done in 1hr 25 mins, as I got back  to base there was a lot more activity going on with loads of riders getting set for the off. A cup of tea in the canteen and I was ready to go. As I was about to leave I spotted big Al Williams waiting for me to show him the route, so after a few words we were on our way. To me the miles seemed to fly by and I was loving every one. By 1.0pm I had done my three laps and I collected my medal. Thats my 14th so that's 1,400 miles on a moped. I`ve only got one thing to say. My bum is getting very sore. Cheers and looking forward to next year. - Barry Cooksley

6th December
What a good night we all had last night, the time went so quickly. There was a poor turnout of trophy winners and it looked as if we were only going to be able to hand out one of the Vale of Glam trophies, as by the time we were all tucking into our starters, Rob J's seat was still empty and he was due to get two other trophies. A text to Aberdare found him having had his tea and lounging on his settee watching the football. Realisation quickly dawned and after a quick change, the Romahome set off down the A470 at warp speed. Anyway, Rob got his meal and will probably suffer for ages by being tagged as even later turning up than our Dave. Many thanks to John Fisher, who provided a mind stretching quiz - all in all a good evening.

26th December
Big thanks to Howard, Bruce and Barry who penned a few words on the Boxing day outing to the Lamb and Flag at Wick.
Howard saw some 15 bikes and reported a good number of members had turned out, along with a few that we only see on these occasions. Brian & Wynn, Barry, Jack, Dave D, Stewart, Rob James, and Peter H were some of those present. "Roads were mostly dry", said Howard, who was using his Honda 400/4 and was on his own as Carol was none too well. Howard's comment was that it was a little cold, but Dave reminded him that "it was winter, after all".
Rob Jones didn't make it, as he said that he was in A&E after falling off a horse. Rob said that it just became uncontrollable and galloped faster and faster and wouldn't slow down until the owner turned up and cut the power off.
Bruce reports: Di had said to me "now listen big boy, use it or lose it". I took her message to heart and went out the garage and fettled the Comet. It don't get called upon often these days. I had a ride over the Island and got caught in a bloody shower. But it went well. We set off on Boxing Day morning a trifle early. Even though the modest westerly was agin us we got to the Lamb and Flag at 11. There was no one there. Worse still , the toilets were locked shut. We hung about for a while until my bladder really complained and pointed the bike towards home. We passed some old riders on old bikes going westwards and got home at 11.35, the bathroom at 11.36. It was a nice day to be on an old bike, even an old James.
Barry reports: There was only one word for the weather on Boxing Day" Perfect". The sun was out, no wind and about 12 degrees. I arrived at the normal destination  The Lamb and Flag in Wick about 11.50 to see about 12 bikes and a few tin tops already there. Wayne Boon tried to order sausage and chips ( usually a large quantity) but was told he couldn't have them because he hadn't ordered them. He was then told he could have them but they would be 14 quid. So he declined the offer. The Landlady then said that if he wanted food he should go to the pub over the road. Now as an old Landlord myself this is not the way to win friends and gain new customers. So before next year I suggest we check if we are still welcome there. A few surprises, Howard turned up on a bike, John Ellis appeared and disappeard just as quick. It was good to see Brian & Wynn Gray now living back in the area. I did ask him if he was on the Norton but the reply was in the negative. The last to arrive was (have a guess) Dave Danielsen. In all I would say there were about 25 there so not a bad turn out.