Reports of Section Runs and Meetings for 2013

With any photographs, just hold your mouse over any of the thumbnails to see the caption, click to see a full sized image, then press your browser back button to return.

1st January - New Years Day run
A couple of different photos from John Fisher, taken at the start. I've had problems with the website handling panoramic photos so have not included the link to open the picture up, not that you see it much larger anyway.

The New Years Day run actually saw some welcome sunshine and a some 28 bikes turned out for the annual run to the Green Dragon Inn at Llancadle. Only the day before we found out that the pub was under new managment as from the 1st Jan. So, Bob J very quickly paid them a visit just to make sure that the new landlord was aware that  a contingent would arrive the following day - but we needn't have worried as all were well fed and watered. Commiserations to Tony Danielsen who managed to destroy one of the front tyres on his Alfa as he entered the car park. Modern cars don't carry a spare either, so there's a moral there.

21st April run
The FBHVC ride it day - and a run was held in memory of Terry Pallister. The event started from the Multiplex cinema, Treforest and meandered around for a stop at Tintern. Some 15 motorcycles turned out. Thanks to John Fisher for the pictures taken at Tintern.

25th April
This was the first Wednesday run out and there were some seven bikes out despite the rather overcast and damp weather. Photos from our roving reporter.

12th May
The day of the South West Coast Run and the weather was not promising at all. I was to take the Willys Jeep but it decided not to play ball at all on the morning, so Jean, Josie and myself set off in a modern car. Not quite the same but as it did rain a fair bit later in the day, I was glad that we were not in an open sided WWII Jeep.
Those from our side of the channel were:
Barry Cooksley(1956 James Captain)
Jack Madge(1972 Honda CB500)
Rob Jones(1986 Honda CB400TT)(more reliable than a Velo)
Brian Morris(1974 BMW R 75/6)
So not bad turnout for our section and none of us had any problems, I believe. The route was the usual one with a coffee stop at Portishead, lunch stop at Clevedon and then back to the finish at Failand.

27th May
The 'Bring a Bike' night turned into 'Bring a Boat' night as it sure did tip down. The event has been re-scheduled for the 24th June

17th and 18th June
The weekend of Training day and the Banbury run. I was in Warwick for a Management Committee meeting on the Friday and down to help with the Training day at Gaydon on Saturday, then ride the Banbury run on the Sunday with Terry Hopes. 

There was quite a variety of bikes for training day and one was a genuine dirt track Douglas and I was told that it had a terminal speed of 98mph at the end of a standing start 1/4 mile sprint. It sure was noisy - and fast - and fun, I bet. The riders had quite a variety of bikes to choose from and luckily the weather held mostly dry for the day.

Things didn't quite go to plan for me, but on the Banbury run, the following day, our Terry and his Beardmore won a Gold award for time keeping and the Best Early Vintage trophy. That is quite some achievement at Banbury, I can tell you - well done Terry. I spotted a couple of our members, Ken and Kate Baxter and Graham Gardiner, all there just for the spectacle.

For the Banbury run, I was riding the coveted number one and wanted to make sure that all was well. So, during the training day lunch break I got the 1904 Dreadnought out of the van to give it a run before the following day and make sure all was well. After a bit of pushing one of the lads said "Do you know the frame is broken at the back?". The bottom of the frame tube from the saddle down to the back axle had broken away and sprung the stay quite a bit. That put paid to the bike appearing for the Banbury run the following day, which was a shame. Maybe next year!! At least all the riders had a nice dry ride and I was able to wander about taking photos.

23rd June
The Seaside Run - ably organised by Dave Cooper and John Lewis. The weather forecast certainly seemed a bit 'iffy', but as luck would have it we had dry roads to run on. There were only 39 entries prior to the closing date and a couple more came in before the day. However, on the day we had another 12. The start and finish was from the Conservative Club in Penarth, with tea and coffee available before the start and also at the finish.

The run took it's usual format and route, with a stop at Nash point - talk about windy!! The wind was blowing my hot chocolate out of the mug, it was that strong. From Nash Point it was on to the Greenacre motel in North Cornelly, where we were made most welcome and with those that had booked getting a super sunday lunch. The only problem that I had heard about was Vince Chivers suffering a broken clutch cable, however he managed to get his DOT back home without having to change gear.

Back at the finish the Penarth Mayor, Neil Thomas, presented the trophies before the event was wound up, without doubt it was a good day. Many thanks to the Conservative club and in particular Dean.

24th June
The evening of the re-arranged Bring-a-bike night. Luckily the weather was kind to us for this event and we had 22 bikes turn out, as well as a couple of the new Morgan Threewheelers. After the vote count it was Bob James BSA Rocket Three that won by quite a large margin.

8th June
The BBQ took place with sunshine and good weather in abundance. Nice to see so many present, especially Brian and Wynne from West Wales and Geoff Thomas from Newport.

14th July

Rob Jones 10th 'Follow the Velo' run started at 10.30 with some 15 bikes and one Lomax all lining up to follow Rob. Worryingly 5 or 6 of the bikes were Velos.

Anyway, we headed north to Merthyr and re-assembled, before heading off onto the A470 and the Heads of the Valleys road, where we turned right and then left towards Pontsticill and the mountain road up over Torpantau. Three of the contingent managed to get lost and Howard J in his Lomax, just like Tony Hancock in the film 'The Magnificent men in their flying machines', was last seen - heading to Scotland.
The main body of riders all stopped for tea at the 'Old Barn Tea room' at Ystradgynwyn, just north of the Pentwyn reservoir and very pleasant it was too.

From the Tea stop we headed North towards Talybont, but it wasn't long before we had our first breakdown - it was, of course, a Velo. Soon fixed though, and we were on our way again. At Talybont we turned left to Talgarth and a good Sunday lunch in the New Inn.
After being fed and watered it was a case of follow Rob to Blaenavon and the finish of the run at the Pontypool and Blaenavon Steam railway.

We arrived just in time to see the last train of the day depart, before we all headed home after a good day out. Thanks for all your efforts Rob.

22nd July

The Fish and Chip run took place and Rob J has sent these few photos - The weather looks ok but I've no other information at the moment as to how the run went.

31st July
The wednesday evening rideout to the Hare & Hounds at Aberthin saw some 15 people turn out. Thanks to John Fisher for the photos.

11th August
The Chairmans run started from the Nantgarw cinema complex and in the absence of Bob J and Dave D, John Fisher agreed to lead the run. Having said that John found on leaving home that he had a misfire on one of the cylinders of his Tiger 90 so returned home to collect his pretty little BSA C15. At the start John H had a petrol leak, which was soon fixed with a cable tie. The run started earlier than usual as the bikes needed to be at the Three Cocks show before 11am to take advantage of the free entry. 8 bikes set off with John Williams suffering some engine problems with his Douglas at around Brecon, so he turned back for home, whilst the remaining 7 made the show ok. Doug, John and Mal left around 3pm with the rest staying until 4.30pm. All in all a good day out.

28th August
The weather for the Wednesday evening ride out to the Rose & Crown at Eglwysilan was good and 10 people turned out. It was nice to see Kevin Gilbert and his Norton Commando, quite a change from his 1941 Indian 741. A very pleasant evening sitting in the sunshine.

8th September
The day started with a touch of rain, but cleared up nicely for the Vale of Glamorgan road run. We had a total of 18 entries with Bruce and Di coming home early from West Wales to add their support. The event took the same format as was used last year and all that I spoke to were happy with the system of marking. The Horseshoe Inn at Marcross, yet again, hosted us for lunch, which was good, as usual. My thanks to the two Daves - Dave Cooper for looking after the lunch and finish checks, with Dave Jones ably manning the mid morning and afternoon checks. Results will be worked out - soon, I hope. Nice emails from people to say that they had a good day, thanks all, for the support.

26th September
The last Wednesday evening rideout of the year was to the Golden Mile Inn at Corntown. The evening weather was perfect for a ride on the bike and some 8 or so bikes turned up. New landlord at the pub and they had a new chef, who turned out some food that was well above the standard of the usual 'pub grub'.